GWN's Fitness Thread

Ok GWN, I got a couple questions. Going to start getting back into working out hardcore. I'm really looking to basically shred, but gain a little bit of size. Mostly just shred a little of this gut I'm slowly starting to develop. So, should I take any protein or any supplements as well? And also, what would be some good workouts for me to do this?

Ok GWN, I got a couple questions. Going to start getting back into working out hardcore. I'm really looking to basically shred, but gain a little bit of size. Mostly just shred a little of this gut I'm slowly starting to develop. So, should I take any protein or any supplements as well? And also, what would be some good workouts for me to do this?

Alright, first things first. Your statement in bold needs to be addressed, although I think I know what direction you want to go in...

Without the use of anabolic steroids, it is virtually impossible to both add muscle and shed bodyfat at the same time. The science behind this is rather simple...in order to lose weight (preferrably bodyfat), you need to expend more calories than you take in. That's called being in a caloric deficit. If you want to gain size (preferrably muscle), you need to intake more calories than you expend...that's called calorie surplus. So to be realistic and practical, you really need to choose one or the other...shred, or add size.

It sounds to me like your primary goal is to lose bodyfat, so we'll focus on that. Proper nutrition is 90% of the battle here...you can workout until you're about to have an aneursym, but if your nutrition isn't on point then you won't get the gains you want. Then you'll get frustrated and quit. This is what happens to most people.

For starters, you need to find out what your maintenance calories are. That's the number of daily calories to maintain your current weight. There's a ton of calculators for this online...just put in your numbers and it will give you your maintenance cals. From there, start by subtracting about 500 from that number, and that will be your daily goal for cals.

For beginners, I usually recommend that 40% of these cals come from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from healthy fats. Just try to get into that ballpark. 1 gram of protein = 4 cals, 1 gram of carbs = 4 cals, and 1 gram of fat = 9 cals. So, if your daily cal goal is 2000 cals, then you need roughly 800 cals from protein, 800 cals from carbs and 400 cals from fat. That calculates out to about 200g pro, 200g carb, and 45g fat. You see where I'm going with this...just try to get in the ballpark.

For workouts, I'd recommend exercising probably 5-6 days a week for 45 min to 1 hour if you can. I don't know what your current level of fitness is, and what you have access to, but a real basic breakdown would be 2-3 days of cardio, and 2-3 days of weights.

I love DVD based workouts, but I don't know if that's practical for you. So let me know what you're working with, and I can give you some more specific recommendations based on what's available.

(Sorry for the novel. Bleed would be proud)

(And I apologize Wu if you already knew all that stuff. Did not mean to come across as condescending...)

No sir, you didn't. I knew somewhat the basics, but that will definitely help. I've never really researched it so that gives me an excellent starting point of tracking exact numbers and everything. Thanks for the help big guy! Any other questions I may have, I'll ask but this is a great tipping off point

No problem man, my pleasure. Are you working out at a gym or at home? There's some great DVD-based stuff like P90x and Insanity that you might really like if you have the capability to workout while following along. Otherwise we can structure a routine for you around a conventional weightlifting split that would also be effective.

Just let me know what questions you have, if any.

No problem man, my pleasure. Are you working out at a gym or at home? There's some great DVD-based stuff like P90x and Insanity that you might really like if you have the capability to workout while following along. Otherwise we can structure a routine for you around a conventional weightlifting split that would also be effective.

Just let me know what questions you have, if any.
I started p90x and then kinda did it for a week or two and switched to a new workout. So, I'll start that more than likely.

P90x is still one of my favorite regimens. I would do the Chest/Back, Shoulders/Arms, Back/Legs, and Plyo DVDs, and then add in 2 more cardio based workouts of your choosing during the week.

Absolutely. I used it mix it in one evening per week, and really need to get back to it. I'll be honest though...that DVD is 90 minutes long, and I can't hang in there for 90 minutes worth. I cut it off around an hour.

Absolutely. I used it mix it in one evening per week, and really need to get back to it. I'll be honest though...that DVD is 90 minutes long, and I can't hang in there for 90 minutes worth. I cut it off around an hour.

Ha yeah 90 mins of yoga would get old quick I imagine. Well I kiss purchased the videos so when they get in I'm gonna go hard after it

Nice. I freaking love those workouts. Keep notes just like they tell you to...write everything down (weight and reps). If you really push yourself to progress, you'll see results.

This morning was Insanity: Asylum Vol 2, X-Trainer. Agility based stuff, working out with a sectioned off rope ladder on the ground. Highly recommend if you're into the DVD based stuff.

Members online

No members online now.
Back