Them Vols offseason thread

They have highlights of practices over on scout. Von, North, and Malone.. you can just tell from an athletic standpoint, they're better than anybody out there.

Croom is bigger than Helm and Woody Quinn.

Hurd is the fastest RB on the team. Beating everyone by a couple steps in short sprints.

Wolf is a big boy. Might be a future tackle.

Malik Foreman has looked good in the drills. Coleman seems to be 100 times more comfortable at nickel, but he hasn't seen a go route yet.. so I'm still skeptical.

They have highlights of practices over on scout. Von, North, and Malone.. you can just tell from an athletic standpoint, they're better than anybody out there.

Croom is bigger than Helm and Woody Quinn.

Hurd is the fastest RB on the team. Beating everyone by a couple steps in short sprints.

Wolf is a big boy. Might be a future tackle.

Malik Foreman has looked good in the drills. Coleman seems to be 100 times more comfortable at nickel, but he hasn't seen a go route yet.. so I'm still skeptical.
Thank you wU!

If Coleman sticks and is effective at nickel it will be the greatest overhaul of a player I can remember.

From one of the managers.

Wasn't able to get over to practice Friday or Saturday, but have talked to some people over the past few days who have been at both practices. Some of this stuff goes back to some things I heard during workouts as well, as there's only so much you can take from 2 days.

Jalen Hurd-Most physically gifted of the early enrollees. Getting some reps with the 2s. Biggest key is improving his work ethic. "Still a 5 star in his mind" is what a couple of people have said. Barring injury though, I think the running back position is definitely in good hands moving forward as he matures.

Josh Malone-Having some trouble catching the ball early on. Consistent motor is a concern here as well. I think he is having some trouble adjusting to the speed and intensity of the SEC. A lot of time until Utah State, but I don't think he would be in the rotation as of today.

Ethan Wolf-More physically ready for the SEC than Helm. Good chance he contributes this season, but is not very athletic and his upside is limited as a tight end. A move to offensive tackle down the line definitely wouldn't be a surprise.

Daniel Helm-Very hard worker and has good athleticism. Will probably be the #1 guy at tight end for a while here assuming he develops. Having some trouble with drops early on, but hands don't seem to be a concern as he moves forward. Probably a situational guy this year.

Coleman Thomas-Lacks strength needed to effectively run block at this level right now. Definitely not a given that he will be the starter at RT. We'll learn a lot more starting tomorrow when the pads come on.

Ray Raulerson-Football IQ is a question mark, along with strength, which is extremely common for freshmen o-linemen. Almost assuredly headed for a redshirt.

Dimarya Mixon-Have not heard a single thing about him other than he needs to add A LOT of weight. Redshirt is almost certain.

Jakob Johnson-Has a lot of work to do when it comes to technique and understanding the game. Someone told me yesterday he "just wants to kill people every play." Will probably end up on special teams this year.

Neiko Creamer-Really struggled at WR catching the ball. No surprise he was moved to LB, I was told he really, really wanted to play WR. Haven't heard much about his play since he moved to LB. Apparently hasn't complained about it though.

D'Andre Payne-I think he is probably the safest bet to get consistent PT this year outside of Coleman Thomas and maybe Hurd. Really stood out early on and is getting all the work with the 2s at nickel and doing a solid job.

Emmanuel Moseley-Guy I've heard least about so far this spring, but I know Martinez really liked him in the recruiting process. Very high character kid.

I will go ahead and touch on the 3 JUCOs as well.

Von Pearson-He's going to draw a lot of CP comparisons. I don't think he's quite on that level, but he is special. He is VERY elusive (as the video circulating shows) and does a good job catching the ball. The only negative I've heard is that he lacks straight line speed. I think he is the clear-cut #2 target behind Quez this year (who I've heard has been the best player on the field so far this spring).

Dontavius Blair-Has a long way to go as a run blocker. Obviously he is pretty much the default starter at LT. Should do a decent job in pass pro.

Owen Williams-Probably the strongest player on the team. Don't think he's going to make a lot of plays, but will do his job. Needs to get in better shape, but he's another JUCO guy who will be plugged in as a starter right away.

I will likely be at practice at least once this week, maybe twice.

ETA: Forgot Creamer and Mixon

Good stuff Scottie.

Notes from yesterday:

— The Vols began practice with the “Circle of Life,” one-on-one blocking drill. Butch Jones’ microphone was cutting in and out, so it was difficult to make out specific match ups. One thing is certain, though –*Jones wanted to test the newcomers. Coleman Thomas, Ray Raulerson, Josh Malone, D’Andrew Payne and Von Pearson were all called out. IT was able to see Thomas put Jason Carr on his back.

— Running backs coach Robert Gillespie emphasizes running low to the point of making his troops duck through a hurdle-looking contraption in one drill. Interestingly enough, 5-foot-8 Devrin Young bumped his helmet on the underside of the*crossbar but 6-foot-3 freshman Jalen Hurd managed to duck under the bar with relative ease.

— Jalen Reeves-Maybin worked as the “Mike” or middle linebacker with the first team defense with Curt Maggitt and A.J. Johnson playing beside him.

Danny Parker said JRM was at Mike because Jancek can draw up blitz packages for AJ and Curt (also said it likely won't be AJ, but Weatherd, doing those blitzes)

Anderson Training Facility

Attachments

• IMG_4983_zpsb708e5d1.jpg
    IMG_4983_zpsb708e5d1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4982_zps3d4dad2e.jpg
    IMG_4982_zps3d4dad2e.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4987_zpscb1ee7c2.jpg
    IMG_4987_zpscb1ee7c2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4991_zps44aee958.jpg
    IMG_4991_zps44aee958.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5005_zps32e113b0.jpg
    IMG_5005_zps32e113b0.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 0
More

Attachments

• IMG_5006_zps72e836f1.jpg
    IMG_5006_zps72e836f1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5011_zps0a946b86.jpg
    IMG_5011_zps0a946b86.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
Manager said this re: bull in the ring:

Biggest beat down of the day was Kendell Vickers on Austin Sanders. He said he manhandled him.

Said that Vickers has improve greatly and will figure into the rotation. He also said to not ever expect much out of Austin Sanders.

Manager said this re: bull in the ring:

Biggest beat down of the day was Kendell Vickers on Austin Sanders. He said he manhandled him.

Said that Vickers has improve greatly and will figure into the rotation. He also said to not ever expect much out of Austin Sanders.

Yeah, seems like Sander just hasn't been impressive.

Carr, too.

Members online

No members online now.
Back