YOUR Nashville Predators Thread aka LET'S RIDE

Have to say that so far the sting of giving you guys Forsberg is somewhat mitigated by getting your coach. What did Trotz do to get fired there? I've been really impressed with him so far.

He really didn't do much to necessarily deserve to get fired. We've had a great D for years, but our offense was never quite up to par. However, last year our offense was atrocious and Pekka was fighting injuries so we weren't very good. He's a good coach though, no doubt. Most Preds fans still like and respect him

Have to say that so far the sting of giving you guys Forsberg is somewhat mitigated by getting your coach. What did Trotz do to get fired there? I've been really impressed with him so far.

Just got stale, injuries, and lack of top forward (ironically) did him in, great man, great coach but it was time to move on.

Just got stale, injuries, and lack of top forward (ironically) did him in, great man, great coach but it was time to move on.

Did David Poile dump him because his own seat was finally starting to get warm? Can't believe he's still there after all these years.

The whole situation with Nashville and Washington is interestingly incestuous, because Poile spent something like fifteen years as the Capitals' GM, and Trotz spent years as the coach at the Caps' top minor league affiliate, where he was considered sort of a coach in waiting. After Poile got fired by the Caps and hired by Nashville, he plucked Trotz away just when he seemed about to finally get the Capitals job. I'm glad to finally get Trotz back, but y'all can definitely keep David Poile.

Did David Poile dump him because his own seat was finally starting to get warm? Can't believe he's still there after all these years.

The whole situation with Nashville and Washington is interestingly incestuous, because Poile spent something like fifteen years as the Capitals' GM, and Trotz spent years as the coach at the Caps' top minor league affiliate, where he was considered sort of a coach in waiting. After Poile got fired by the Caps and hired by Nashville, he plucked Trotz away just when he seemed about to finally get the Capitals job. I'm glad to finally get Trotz back, but y'all can definitely keep David Poile.

Poile's seat was definitely getting warm last year, reading between the lines you could see a correlation between Trotzy's exodus and Poile being one mistake away from joining him without some turnover/facelift. It wasn't really a messy breakup. Trotz was so well respected and an absolute gentleman, so there was zero smearing. Trotz will always have a place in Nashville hockey. He was monumental in building it from the ground up. I'm not really a Poile fan myself, but he has made a couple of good moves (moving Legwand and Erat) although Erat demanded a trade so it wasn't his complete mastermind. Trotzy's defensive coaching style ran it's course, great brand of hockey when you can lure forwards or develop them on the flip side. We couldnt draft, develop or lure any top 6 guys. Therefore we had the most incredibly horrifically boring hockey imaginable over the last couple years. That's why a guy like Forsberg looks like Peter Forsberg (in his prime) to us.

Sounds a lot like Poile's tenure in DC. He wasn't awful but I wasn't sad to see new ownership come in and decide to try something else.

I think hockey might be the hardest sport to build a contender, if you're a GM. You've got the opposite problem of the NBA, where you can't win a title without an elite player, but where the flip side of that is that once you get that guy you can immediately start building around him. What you need to do is pretty clear. In hockey even the greatest players in the world sit for 2/3 of the game, so even if you acquire one outstanding player like, say, Phil Kessel, it doesn't really that much good. It really is about finding those third line grinders, a wing to play with your second-best center, a decent second defenseman pairing. Plus half the players come from Europe now, and evaluating young Europeans players is notoriously hard. And yet somehow NHL GMs seem to keep their jobs forever. I figure it's got to be because merely being sort of competent at it is damn near impossible.

Feels better to be IN FIRST PLACE like YOUR MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

I started watching and Ottawa scored three unanswered.

I'm telling y'all, I'm a bad omen.

Members online

No members online now.
Back