The Somewhat Serious Discussion Thread

GWN... continuing this discussion here...

What parts of "being southern" do you think people associate with the flag? Like, those people you're referring to who are celebrating the positive things that go along with that... what do you think they have in mind when they fly that flag?

Oddly enough, just listened to a podcast where Jim Norton talks about "outrage culture"... and I think it fits pretty well with this topic. You aren't allowed to just throw your hands up and say "ehhh sometimes a thing is ok?" because people paint with broad brushes (and permanent paint).

GWN... continuing this discussion here...

What parts of "being southern" do you think people associate with the flag? Like, those people you're referring to who are celebrating the positive things that go along with that... what do you think they have in mind when they fly that flag?

Oddly enough, just listened to a podcast where Jim Norton talks about "outrage culture"... and I think it fits pretty well with this topic. You aren't allowed to just throw your hands up and say "ehhh sometimes a thing is ok?" because people paint with broad brushes (and permanent paint).

I think it's just the culture itself that people want to celebrate. "Being southern" to me is the family atmosphere that is revered here...waving at someone who is passing by you on a small, two-lane road...being polite, helpful and welcoming (as opposed to the common "yankee" stereotype imposed on those from the north). I think the pride in being southern just grows out of a culture that's inherently different than any other geographic area, and celebrating those differences that make it unique.

I don't know if I'm really defining or describing this well. Sounds kind of cheesy. My apologies if so.

No, I get what you're saying. Small talk that lasts a long time in a store, etc. etc... I definitely get what you mean. I just don't think that is what a decent amount of people are actually thinking of... But maybe I'm acting like an asshoIe.

It has just... never come across to me that way... when the flag is discussed. But maybe that's because it is oftentimes discussed amongst youth, or I associate it with certain people I know, or it is oftentimes discussed when things get heated, not just day-to-day discussion.

I think it's just the culture itself that people want to celebrate. "Being southern" to me is the family atmosphere that is revered here...waving at someone who is passing by you on a small, two-lane road...being polite, helpful and welcoming (as opposed to the common "yankee" stereotype imposed on those from the north). I think the pride in being southern just grows out of a culture that's inherently different than any other geographic area, and celebrating those differences that make it unique.

I don't know if I'm really defining or describing this well. Sounds kind of cheesy. My apologies if so.

I know what you mean but i think people all over the country do that, not just in the south.

Also, not being a jerk toward you at all here... cause I see your point... But I think it sounds cheesy in this discussion because that doesn't totally jive with flying the flag.

Perhaps it feels forced/cheesy because it is.

I know what you mean but i think people all over the country do that, not just in the south.

I understand your point. I have lived all over this country from one end to another and there is no culture quite like living in the southeast. It's just different.

Also, not being a jerk toward you at all here... cause I see your point... But I think it sounds cheesy in this discussion because that doesn't totally jive with flying the flag.

Perhaps it feels forced/cheesy because it is.

I guess so. If there's one thing that I'm admittedly guilty of, it's seeing the best of things/people even when a harsher reality might be staring me right in the face. I recognize that.

I think there are people on both sides of the issue that understand and respect the flag, and there are people on both sides who see it/use it for racism. I don't think there's a big deal with just taking them down, but people just wanna be stubborn and leave it up out of spite. They took them off the capital building here in Montgomery yesterday and are probably going to put them in the First White House of The Confederacy across the street from it.

One question I have that I don't really feel like anybody ever brings up but especially applies to you as an employee of the federal government, does the flag of, what ultimately became a squashed rebellion, not represent a symbol of treason?

One question I have that I don't really feel like anybody ever brings up but especially applies to you as an employee of the federal government, does the flag of, what ultimately became a squashed rebellion, not represent a symbol of treason?

Have never thought of it that way.

Have never thought of it that way.

Can't take credit for the thought on my own, my grandfather who was born in Brooklyn, flew fighter jets in the Navy, and was a huge libertarian and believer in states rights and still always viewed that flag as a symbol that disrespected the country he fought for.

Can't take credit for the thought on my own, my grandfather who was born in Brooklyn, flew fighter jets in the Navy, and was a huge libertarian and believer in states rights and still always viewed that flag as a symbol that disrespected the country he fought for.

Understandable and I can appreciate why he felt that way.

Side question...Do you guys think that Ole Miss should change their nickname and mascot?

Is that right? I have no idea.

picture-40.png

Ole Miss’ New Mascot: The Rebel…Black Bear | TIME.com

Members online

No members online now.
Back