Where is everyone?

Hell, you can if you want. Definitely wouldn't be the first spam we've had.

Just goofin Ben.

There are a couple of questions I've had for a while concerning former posters over there that I'd like to ask, but not sure if it's okay. I KNOW it's not okay to ask over there.

Just goofin Ben.

There are a couple of questions I've had for a while concerning former posters over there that I'd like to ask, but not sure if it's okay. I KNOW it's not okay to ask over there.

I asked over here previously via direct message. If it's the same posters I'll drop my email and tell you what I was told. It was a group of guys. But I certainly don't know all the posters who have (RIP) moved on

Probably not okay to ask about former posters over here either. Sorry.

Freak's one condition in starting this back up for us was that we wouldn't use it as a place to bash people on VN or circumvent the rules. I hate to be a dick but we need to try to adhere to that.

Probably not okay to ask about former posters over here either. Sorry.

Freak's one condition in starting this back up for us was that we wouldn't use it as a place to bash people on VN or circumvent the rules. I hate to be a dick but we need to try to adhere to that.

All good. Wasn't going to bash at all. Just putting puzzle pieces together so to speak.

Consider it dropped.

All good. Wasn't going to bash at all. Just putting puzzle pieces together so to speak.

Consider it dropped.

No clue who exactly you were/are referencing but I know I mentioned one name in particular in a very sarcastic and joking manner and it went over like the Baby Ruth in the Bushwood Country Club pool. Apparently, if you paid close attention/spent a lot of time on the Mothership in the other realms into which I rarely venture it was mentioned a few times a few years back and then never again.

Alas, will just have to remain one of life's great mysteries I guess.

I was not privy to any of what was going on at the time, so I don't actually know any of the details. I haven't asked because I don't particularly care. But as far as I can tell, it was basically the same thing that I've seen play out repeatedly on several forums/newsgroups during the 25 years I've been on the internet. I.e., 1) A small site gets much more popular. 2) Some longtime posters resent the newbies, and behave awfully towards them. 3) These old guys get pissed off that the moderators try to keep them from piling on the new guys. 4) The old guys ragequit. I've seen it over and over. The only unusual thing about this case seems to be that, instead of all stomping off individually, the malcontents organized and tried their best to torpedo VN on the way out.

The other factor at the time all this was going on was that most of the newbies pouring in supported Derek Dooley. So I'm sure if you were to talk to any of the jackasses in question, they'd all claim to be martyrs who left because VN couldn't handle the truth. But in reality it was just "Who the hell are you, new guy" issue all over again. Freak doesn't care what people's opinions are; he cares whether they're behaving like asses.

Again: I was not a mod at the time. This is just what I pieced together at the time myself.

I was not privy to any of what was going on at the time, so I don't actually know any of the details. I haven't asked because I don't particularly care. But as far as I can tell, it was basically the same thing that I've seen play out repeatedly on several forums/newsgroups during the 25 years I've been on the internet. I.e., 1) A small site gets much more popular. 2) Some longtime posters resent the newbies, and behave awfully towards them. 3) These old guys get pissed off that the moderators try to keep them from piling on the new guys. 4) The old guys ragequit. I've seen it over and over. The only unusual thing about this case seems to be that, instead of all stomping off individually, the malcontents organized and tried their best to torpedo VN on the way out.

I was totally clueless to this happening.

Sounds like what happens in churches and why there's one on every other corner.

That was the part that I had seen alluded to once or twice and was mildly curious as to the details. Also once read about a reference to the attempted formation of a competing site but never actually cared enough about that to do any real digging.

However, I think I'm probably one of the longer tenured members of VN that also post here, after yourself, GA and Wickman, and I remember that time you make reference to. It was one of the reasons I read and almost never posted until finding shelter in the Barves thread.

By the way, I was a martyr for truth. I was the biggest anti dools person ever from the first nanosecond.

Complete waste of time that guy was.

However, I think I'm probably one of the longer tenured members of VN that also post here, after yourself, GA and Wickman, and I remember that time you make reference to. It was one of the reasons I read and almost never posted until finding shelter in the Barves thread.

I lurked almost 2 years before actually joining. I joined when Chuck Smith came aboard because he was and is one of my most beloved pro players.

If anyone deserves bashing, it's me just for that.

By the way, I was a martyr for truth. I was the biggest anti dools person ever from the first nanosecond.

Complete waste of time that guy was.

Kudos for that.

I bought in when we almost beat LSU.

Now I probably nitpick the current staff too much because of it.

Kudos for that.

He clearly wasn't qualified so that only left the "rising star" angle.

I never bought into that because it was very apparent he was a self-absorbed, self-entitled toolshed.

He clearly wasn't qualified so that only left the "rising star" angle.

I never bought into that because it was very apparent he was a self-absorbed, self-entitled toolshed.

I was with you on the first sentence, hard to be a rising star with a losing record. Good coaches can win at every level.

Alas, I was late at picking up on the second sentence but boy did it become painfully apparent over time.

I was with you on the first sentence, hard to be a rising star with a losing record. Good coaches can win at every level.

Alas, I was late at picking up on the second sentence but boy did it become painfully apparent over time.

Verc likes to clown me for paying any mind at press conferences, but Dooley didn't exist to me from the second he opened his mouth. He just isn't a leader. I've coached a whole lot of sports and played a whole lot more. I've been around some good ones and some bad ones. For college football- the biggest task is recruiting. The second biggest task is getting 18-22 year old kids to bust their ass FOR YOU.

I knew Dooley couldn't do #2. Dooley didn't even care enough to attempt #1.

Kudos for that.

I went through the following stages with Dooley

1. Shock and horror and disgust
2. "F it, we're stuck with him, I'm going to grit my teeth and try to be optimistic and hope he'll give me a reason to believe."
3. Waiting
4. Waiting, dammit
5. "If he were ever going to do anything, he would have by now. Time to move on."
6. RAGEFACE

Members online

No members online now.
Back