Z's "Detroit Rock City" Sports Thread

There's one guy on the Hawks forum I read who just cannot get over his love for Josh Smith. Hates Danny Ferry for getting rid of him, detests the new coach. Sneers at European players and "system ball." The fact that Josh has gone on to have his worst season ever means nothing; letting him go was a stupid mistake.

In other words, sports fans are the same everywhere.

There are still the Rudy Gay "Grizzlies fans" out there too.

Drummond is a grown man

@nbastats: .@AndreDrummondd has 325 Offensive Rebs, 79 more than anyone else (DeAndre, 246). Already more than the league-high in '12-13 (Z-Bo, 310)

Here you go Z.

meryl-davis.jpg

William Clay Ford Sr., Detroit Lions owner, dies at 88 - ESPN

Thoughts on this, Z? Is the family going to be able to keep the team?

Marge Ford (Ford Sr.'s wife) will have the controlling interest of the team while Bill Ford Jr. will run the day to day operations of the franchise.

I can't imagine Bill would sell it. It's his father's baby and while not the smartest NFL owner ever, Ford Sr. absolutely adored the team and loved them to death. Bill Jr. works with the team and has for awhile. It would shock me if they sold it. I'm not 100% sure about Ford Jr.'s worth, but I saw a number that before his father's death he had a net worth of $3B, so I can't imagine they can't afford it.

Of course a similar situation happened with the Pistons five years ago, and the daughter sold the team fairly soon.

Estate taxes sometime preclude a family keeping the team when the owner dies. That's why Jack Kent Cooke's family had to sell the Washington team to Dan Snyder; they couldn't afford to pay the tax on the team's value without selling it off.

I read that he owned the team for 50 years and won only one playoff game. That seems flat-out impossible.

Estate taxes sometime preclude a family keeping the team when the owner dies. That's why Jack Kent Cooke's family had to sell the Washington team to Dan Snyder; they couldn't afford to pay the tax on the team's value without selling it off.

I read that he owned the team for 50 years and won only one playoff game. That seems flat-out impossible.

Was he a good owner? In the sense of winning, no.

But everything else was good. He'll have an interesting legacy.

It's going to take me at least a decade to get used to the Wings being over in the Man Conference. It's like if the Yankees moved to the National League.

I'm still not used to home teams wearing the dark uniforms and it's been what, 10 years? I'm never going to get used to the Wings being over here.

The Detroit Lions are the best sports team I have.

I repeat...the Detroit Lions.

Members online

Back