Do I have the right?

Bravesfan2020

I think that it is about time to jump off of the Braves wagon here, and it pisses me off what they have done this offseason, so hear me out, and see if I have the right.

Okay, as some of you may know, this season we asked long time GM John Schuerholz to step aside and let "baseball expert" Frank Wren take control of the baseball operations. John was a gunslinger of a GM who was not afraid to pull the trigger, which I liked. I disagreed with this move, but I accepted it and moved on, hoping Wren the best of luck. I could sort of understand this move at the time because Wren was supposed to be good, and we needed to take the team in a different direction, after the sub .500 season.

Great news came out of the Braves camp just days after the World Series' end. Wren announced we that we had just over $40 MIL to spend on Free Agents for contracts in JUST THIS SEASON. Wren stressed that we needed some young pitching, which long-time manager Bobby Cox agreed with. Cox, being a pitchers manager, was happy about the news, especially since we wasted money on older SPs last season, which didn't pay off so well last season.

Here, things turned for the worst. The Braves #1 target, A.J. Burnett, was signed by the Yankees AFTER the Braves had pretty much convinced Burnett to fly to Atlanta for a physical to finalize the deal. The Yankees offer not very much more, about $1 MIL more a year, which the Braves could've afforded to top, but Wren refused to pull the trigger.

Then, SS Rafael Furcal was also ready to fly to Altanta when Wren refused to pull the trigger. Then, his former team the Dodgers get back in the mix, and he signs with based on less than $1 MIL a year difference. Now alot of people questioned why Atlanta wanted him, but I understood. Atlanta needed MLB ready OF. Furcal/Escobar would've played 2B (the other playing SS), and Kelly Johnson who started in LF, would've moved back to his position.

The last straw for me was the recent loss of Braves vet. John Smoltz. I know that he is an inj. alert, but the Braves need bullpen. Furthermore, Cox has seen Smoltz pitch about 3 times and says that he looks better than before and told Wren to sign him no matter what. I think that Smoltz deserved to finish his career with the team that he'll go into the hall of fame with. Plus, another vet. Chipper Jones is outraged about the loss of Smoltz. Chipper, who is going into the last year of his contract this year, could leave as well if things don't improve.

Wren promised change, and what has he done? Brought in SPs in Javier Vasquez and Kenshin Kawakami,
1 who could be past his prime, which we were trying to avoid, and the other who is unproven in the MLB. He is no Daisuke Matsusaka, and will not produce enough to manage what the Braves need in the rotation . We have only spent about $8 MIL of $40 MIL that we had. Now Frank Wren has waited too long, and we will definately not be a contender this season. Though Spring Training is not here yet, the Braves are going to be unable to pull in the talent that Braves fans were promised. So, you tell me, do I have a viable reason?

Braves open-ends:

Derek Lowe - Basically down to 2 teams, the Mets and the Braves. The Braves have not annouced if they have put in an offer on him yet, but he did meet with GM Frank Wren and Manager Bobby Cox this week. Right now, the Mets are the only team with an offer in, but it is short of what Lowe is interested.

Ben Sheets - Nobody has offered on this pitcher who I though would be popular. Sheets has lowered his asking price, making the Braves and Rangers the only two apparent suitors. However, no offers have been made.

Adam Dunn - Atlanta is an "emerging" destination for Adam Dunn, though no offer has been made.

Jake Peavy - There have been rumors that the Braves and Padres have restarted talks, though both organizations deny it. It doen't look like the Braves will land Peavy unless the Padres lower their asking price.

Nick Swisher - There have also been reports that the Braves are talking with the Yankees about 1B/OF Nick Swisher. The Braves tried to trade for him for OF help before he went to NY in that trade. Now that the Yanks have an OF surplus, his price has dropped, and is now a very real option for the Braves.

Ryan Ludwick/Rick Ankiel - The Braves and Cardinals have both admitted that they have been talking about a trade involving SS Yunel Escobar and OF either Ryan Ludwick or Rick Ankiel. However, the Braves feel that the Cards asking price is too high and neither side is close to agreeing with a deal.

Current Player News:

ALERT, ALERT:
- The AJC's Carroll Rogers talked to Chipper, who wonders whether he could be traded midseason if the Braves aren't playing well. He is expecting the Braves to approach him about an extension this winter though. Jones is quite disappointed about Smoltz's departure and said "it hasn't gone unnoticed by me."
- Quote via mlbtraderumors.com
- This would not be good for the Braves. If they lose Chipper, they might as well give up on being a franchise. I will seriously not EVER cheer for the Braves again if they lose Chipper, I swear it, and you all heard it first.

Glavine:
- Glavine's first choice is the Braves, but he's keeping an open mind according to Jerry Crasnick.

Members online

No members online now.
Back